Look Outside to Get Your Facilities Ready for Fall
August 30, 2016
With the weather still warm throughout the country, now’s the perfect time to get outside and run a thorough check of your facilities to prepare for the colder months that lie ahead. Here’s a cheat sheet of tips so you know what to look for.
• Roof and gutters: Summer heat, storms and rain can do a number on a building’s roof. Conduct a full inspection of the roofing including rafters, soffits, eaves, dormers, fascia and flashing. Look for the mineral granules being worn off the shingles, worn shingle edges, nails popping up, and granules collecting in gutters and downspouts. Clear all gutters and downspouts of leaves, twigs, pine needles and other debris. Ensure that gutter hangers are intact and spaced no more than 2 feet apart. Patch corroded gutter spots with durable roofing sealer.
• Storm drains: Before rain becomes more consistent in the fall, check them to ensure the flow of water is unrestricted.
• Landscaping: The cooler, rainier autumn weather is the ideal time to seed any bare spots on the lawn, which also will prevent weeds from popping up in the spring. Inspect trees and shrubs, and make sure they’re pruned correctly. Trim any branches that are pressing against the building. Look for invasive roots that might become a problem later.
• Outdoor equipment & materials: Inspect everything outside your building —ATMs, pneumatic tubes, drive-up deposit drawers, bollards, bollard covers, air conditioning units, generators and parking signage. It’s a lot easier to install these items or make any necessary repairs before the weather changes. Also inspect lawn irrigation systems, sprinkler heads, hoses and related equipment. Prepare to disconnect any seasonal equipment and to turn off outside water sources before temperatures regularly dip to freezing.
• Sidewalks, concrete & pavement: Inspect for cracks or unevenness that might trip up customers or staff.
• Lighting: Evaluate all exterior lighting, changing bulbs and ensuring that everything is in good working order. Are exit door lights and security lighting functional?
• Windows & doors: Caulk around doors and windows as needed to prevent air leaks. Check insulation in the ceilings and walls to ensure there’s enough to keep your buildings warm. Clean all exterior windows; dirty windows don’t leave your customers with a positive image of your brand.
If you want to rely on professionals to complete your fall building inspection services, give J&P Site Experts a call at 262.346.8451 or complete our contact form, and one of our team members will get back to you quickly.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!